Saturday, October 4, 2008

Radha Yoga & Eatery

We went to this place with a group of 15 people, 3 of which were herbivores and the rest of us were omnivores and quite inexperienced with the rich vegan vocabulary.

This restaurant is a discreet vegan hideaway located on Main Street near Chinatown. The big blue wooden door lures you to take a peak inside and the tall and narrow creaky stairs framed by yoga inspired art (multi-trunked elephants) lead you to the rustic home-style interior of the restaurant. The old red brick walls, beat up wooden flooring and white Christmas lights give the restaurant a casual and cozy feel. A selection of urban pop and indie rock is what you will hear in this very new-age eatery.

Considering we had such a huge group, I was pleasantly surprised at how efficient the service was. We all got our meals at roughly the same time, which was very impressive! The waiter was knowledgeable of the menu and gave good recommendations on what to order, when asked. This came in handy for me, since most of the menu items seemed very abstract. The price of the food was pretty decent, all appetizers were $8, all meals were $14 and all desserts were $8 and the portions were all big enough to satisfy.

I ordered nori rolls for appetizer, a succotash with amaranth cakes plate for main course and an apricot upside-down cake for dessert. I also had a delicious apricot juice to drink. The nori rolls were made with hempseed stuffing and were very unique to this place, I never had anything quite like them and I really liked them! The succotash dish was very hearty and wholesome. I had never eaten amaranth or knew what amaranth was before this dining experience so this dish opened a whole new world for me. A couple of friends that got the chard rolls were pretty disappointed in their bland taste and I don't blame them, they were really really bland! All people who ordered the cauliflower curry seemed pretty happy and I tried some as well and thought it was very tasty. The apricot upside-down cake was made with spelt flour and was made very well. It was not a typical dessert on any level and tasted a bit like eating very thick bread. I liked it, however some others were a bit disappointed in it.

Overall, I think this is a great place for vegans and vegetarians. I will definitely come back and recommend this restaurant to all of my veggie friends and my non-veggie adventurous friends.



Radha Yoga & Eatery on Urbanspoon

No comments: